Friday, October 30, 2009

Sex Workers and Coal Miners, what a weekend...


I received an email from Union Docs last week, an awesome venue in Brooklyn that constantly screens a vast array of documentary-based film work. Their program for the weekend? Saturday was films about sex workers and Sunday was a great film exposing the mountain-top removal practices in the world's 2nd most diverse ecosystem: Appalachia. (Who knew, right?)

As it just so happens, my 2 most recent personal projects are on the legal brothels of Nevada and coal miners in SW Kentucky. Union Docs invited me to hang two 1-day shows for the programs and to participate in the panel discussion. It was really informative, I had no idea that America gets over 51% of it's energy from coal. Check out this film, you'll think twice before leaving your lights on when you realize it's literally endangering the lives of thousands of families: Burning the Future.

The above image is from my last trip to Nevada, exclusively at the world famous Mustang Ranch outside Reno. There is a group of new work from the Mustang Ranch in the "New Work" portfolio on my photo site.

The coal miner photos will be up on the site next month, so check back, but here's a preview...


Below are a few shots of my work up at Union Docs and the panel discussion with myself, the director of the film: David Novack and Judy Harper of Green Edge NYC.

1 comment:

Christine M. Casalini said...

Brad,
All beautiful stuff but I especially love these coal miners! You do portraiture like no one else. Such empathy. Thanks for posting.
- C